Here’s a copy of a slide from my publishing talk. This compares the numbers of papers published in some general chemistry journals and a few non-chemistry-specific journals; it hammers home just how big PLOS One is! The data comes from Web of Science (WoS) for 2012, and the results are refined for article types ‘Articles’ and ‘Reviews’. PLOS One accounts for just under 2% of all 2012 papers in WoS using these criteria. (Numbers of publications for each journal have been rounded to the nearest 10 for the purposes of the slide).
Stuart CantrillE-mail: stuart at stuartcantrill.com
- #chemcoach #chemmoviecarnival #iamscience #overlyhonestmethods aids analytical chemistry angewandte chemie bacon beltric acid benzene blog blogging borromean rings buckminsterfullerene c&en c60 careers chemdraw chemistry chemjobber chemjobs chirality cookies dad dialium drrubidium dynamic covalent chemistry editorial elements exam questions fun genetics geography grad school graphical abstracts haemophilia handball history hiv hydrocarbons impact factor jacs jadarite journal development journals krypton kryptonite lab work london 2012 mercury metrics movies nature nature chemistry naughty xenon nmr spectroscopy nobel prize olympics peer review periodic table publishing readers readership seearroh stats stereochemistry superman synthesis talks tennis travel twitter wimbledon writing x-ray crystallography
- @Stephen_Curry @noahWG @sharmanedit I know and I know. Would love to do more analysis (& would love to have the time to do it). 23 minutes ago
- @Paco_bham @LabGibson Oh come on, what's approx. 46 papers in Cell / Science / Nature between friends! A drop in the ocean ;-) 25 minutes ago
- @Stephen_Curry @noahWG @sharmanedit Many journals also prominently point out the problems with IF too. 27 minutes ago
- @professor_dave Depends on how much culinary advice you plan to share with your followers about toast. That's key. 28 minutes ago
- @professor_dave Really?! I think you do a better job & you don't take in hundreds of thousands in membership fees! 32 minutes ago